These oatmeal chocolate chip bars are soft, chewy, chocolate-y, and utterly divine. They’re the type of underrated dessert that you’ll make for the kids, before you realize they’re more than good enough to serve to absolutely anyone. As an added bonus, they’re super easy to make, and you may very well already have everything you need. You could be eating these in an hour!
What equipment do I need for oatmeal chocolate chip bars?
- Mixing bowls (One medium, one large. OR replace the large one with a stand mixer)
- Handheld mixer, if not using stand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Kitchen scale (optional)
- 9×13 pan
What ingredients do I need for oatmeal chocolate chip bars?
- Unsalted butter (1 cup)
- Brown sugar (3/4 cup)
- White sugar (3/4 cup)
- Eggs (2)
- Vanilla extract (1 tsp)
- All purpose flour (1.5 cup)
- Salt (1 tsp)
- Baking soda (1 tsp)
- Rolled oats (2 cups)
- Chocolate chips (2 cups/1 bag)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine your flour, salt, and baking soda, and set aside. I used to skip this step a lot, so I know it’s tempting, but mixing these together beforehand is the best way to ensure you don’t get a clump of baking soda stuck in one spot!
In a large mixing bowl, or a stand mixer if you prefer, cream together butter and sugars for about 3 minutes or until fluffy.
If you have a hard time knowing what these should look like after creaming, check this out!
Add eggs and vanilla and beat well. Ideally, your eggs should be at room temp- an alternative if you forgot to take out your eggs is to place them in a bowl and pour hot/boiling water over them.
Gradually beat in dry ingredient mixture.
Add oats and stir in until blended completely.
Add chocolate chips and mix well!
Spread into a lightly greased 9×13 pan, and bake for 25-28 minutes until golden brown.
Let cool, at least until no longer piping hot. They’ll stay a bit gooey, but if you don’t wait, you’ll need a spoon. Enjoy!
- 1 cup (2 sticks, 227g) unsalted butter at cool room temp
- 3/4 cup (165g) lightly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs at room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cup (204 g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups (170 g) rolled oats
- 12 oz/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, or a stand mixer if you prefer, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Gradually add in dry ingredients, beat until combined.
- Stir in oats until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread in a lightly greased 9x13 pan
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, until golden brown.
- Don't cut right away, unless you like eating them with a spoon! Let cool until room temp (or slightly warmer is fine), cut into bars, and enjoy.
My favorite way to make these is to replace the fine sea salt with kosher salt-it gives them a lightly salty/sweet taste, which is always a huge hit!
I doubt you’re surprised to hear that these are a huge hit with kiddos, but please enjoy mine diving in:
Did you try these? How did they turn out? Let me know in the comments!